Have you worked hard to make your home beautiful but your garden is looking a little neglected? With the summer just a few weeks away, it is a good time to turn your attention to your outdoor space and do what you can to spruce it up for the warm weather. Here are our top tips for making the most of your garden.
- Give your garden a general tidy up. The winter causes all sort of debris buildup and damage in our outdoor spaces. By removing dead flowers, mowing the lawn and trimming foliage your garden will immediately look improved.
- If you don’t have the time or inclination to tend to your plants and lawn, you might want to consider hiring a gardener to do this job for you. Ask neighbors, family and friends for a recommendation or do a search online for services in your local area.
- Spruce up your patio furniture. Again, the winter can cause issues with outdoor tables and chairs, namely weathering, mildew and general dirt. Give these items a clean and buff to help them look as good as new. The method of cleaning will depend on the type of furniture you have (e.g. wood, metal, wicker). You can find specific maintenance instructions for your patio furniture by contacting the manufacturer or by doing a search for help online.
- If you have paving in your garden, these areas will also be in need of a little TLC post-winter. Use a sturdy brush and warm water and scrub away dirt and algae. Remove any weeds that are growing between the paving stones.
- Consider your outdoor lighting. You will probably be spending more evenings outdoor in the summer so you’ll want to make sure you have adequate lighting. There are lots of different styles of outdoor lighting to consider. There’s contemporary, classic, romantic, industrial and many more. Have a browse at light shops or homeware retailers in store or on the web.
- With more alfresco dining opportunities in summer, you’ll want to make sure your outdoor eating area is up to scratch. Providing shelter is a good idea for both shade from the sun and protection for you and your furniture in case it rains. Outdoor and patio rugs can really improve an outdoor dining area, as can candles and lanterns. You may wish to consider attractive outdoor storage for glasses, plates, mats, cutlery, etc. to save you having to go in and out of the house for these dining essentials.
- A garden should look bright and beautiful in summer. If you don’t think you have enough colour in your outdoor space, consider buying some additional summer blooms. These can be planted in decorative plant pots and positioned in various areas around your garden.And there you have it folks; a beautiful and practical garden just in time for the glorious summer. Please let us know if you have any more top tips on making the most of your outdoor space in the warm weather.
Thanks for reading.